Deale Area Communities
The Deale area was first known as Herring Creek Hundred, and included all the land bordering Herring Bay. All of the properties, except for the portion that was to become Deale, were surveyed the same week, October 24-29, 1651 by Robert Clarke, who was Maryland’s surveyor from St. Mary’s City. The first owners were wealthy Separatists, commonly called Puritans, who had moved to Maryland to escape religious persecution in Virginia. Only William Ayres settled on his plantation, overlooking today’s Fairhaven cliffs. However, we know that other tracts were soon occupied, because Herring Creek Hundred had its own militia by April, 1655. Starting in the 1920’s, many smaller waterfront communities were platted and sold for summer homes. Most of these have now become permanent homes for year-round residents.
Ark-Haven was a portion of Town Land, surveyed in 1651 by William Parker, a merchant and planter who settled in Calvert County. Platted in 1922 as a summer community near Town Point, it was one of the first subdivisions to be entered in the Anne Arundel County plat books.
Broadwater Beach was first platted in 1924 from land owned by Laura Mae Davison. As laid out, it was bounded by Atwell Rd, Phipps Rd. and the county road. Another small section bordered the Chesapeake.
Churchton In 1663, 150 acres along the bay north of Broad Creek (now Broadwater Creek), was granted to Armigell Greenwood and named Greenwood. The 150 acres south of Broadwater Creek was granted to Christopher Gardiner in 1665 and named Gardiner’s Folly. Two years later, both properties were patented by Thomas Daborne as Daborne’s Inheritance. The name Churchtown came because there were several churches in the area, and was later shortened to Churchton.
The southern portion of Deale was surveyed in 1659 for Richard Gott and named Ram Gott Swamp. Captain James Deale (1701-1774) settled here as a young man, and married Rachel Giles, whose father then owned most of Ram Gott Swamp. By 1737, Capt. Deale had either inherited or purchased much of Gott’s former property. In the 1700’s, Deale was called The Swamp. The portion of Deale between Tracys and Rockhold Creeks was surveyed in 1651 by Richard Bennett, Esq. and sold the following year to Oliver Holloway as Holloway’s Neck. The portion of Deale between Parker’s Creek and Broadwater Creek was granted to Armigell Greenwood in 1663 as Greenwood, and patented by Thomas Daborne in 1668, as Daborne’s Inheritance.
Although the Deale family remained, the town became known as Cedar Grove. Today we still have the Cedar Grove Methodist Church. For many years, Deale’s mail was delivered weekly from the Sudley Post Office, several miles to the north. John J. Leatherbury, became Deale’s first postmaster in 1908. Since there was another Cedar Grove in Montgomery County, Leatherbury was asked to rename the town. He called it Deale, for his mother, Rachel A. F. Deale Leatherbury.
The area remained in farming until about 1870, when watermen from Long Island and Maryland’s eastern shore purchased land and settled near the rich oyster beds in Herring Bay. Within ten years, Deale’s economy changed from farming to maritime. Beginning in 1920, several former farms became summer communities. Deale residents began building and repairing boats, and renting rowboats to the summer people. Residents also built restaurants and opened country stores. In the 1950’s and 1960’s, watermen became charter fishing captains, taking Washington DC and Baltimore tourists for day trips on the Chesapeake. Today, Deale serves recreational boaters, with numerous marinas, and boat repair facilities.
Deale Beach was part of a 1665 grant to Christopher Gardiner called Gardiner’s Folly. Two years later it passed to Thomas Daborne and became Daborne’s Inheritance. Deale Beach was first platted in 1935 by the Holloway Co., Baltimore MD.
Fairhaven was originally part of William Ayars’ 600 acres, surveyed in 1651 and named Ayars. Following Ayres’ death, the land passed to his son-in-law, Samuel Chew. Anne Arundel County archaeologists recently discovered the foundations of Samuel Chew Junior’s mansion, overlooking Fairhaven. George Weems, owner of the Weems Steamboat Line, purchased a portion of the waterfront in 1843. Weems’ steamboats from Baltimore made regular stops at Fairhaven, where the Weems family had built a hotel and summer resort. Baltimore residents also took day trips to Fairhaven to picnic, swim, sing, and dance. The community of Fairhaven on the Herring Bay was first platted in 1928 by Irvin Owings.
Fairhaven Cliffs on Chesapeake Bay was platted in 1926 by Landsdale G. Sasscer. It was originally a part of Carter, surveyed in 1651 by Separatist leader, Richard Bennett Esq.
Friendship is just west of Carter, 300 acres surveyed in 1651 for Separatist leader, Richard Bennett, Esq. Part of Carter was surveyed for Francis Holland in 1663 and sold to Richard Harrison, who built Holly Hill in 1699. Harrison’s home is believed to be the oldest remaining house in Maryland. Quakers built the Herring Creek Meeting in Friendship about 1700, and also started the first school in southern Anne Arundel County. In 1807, a Rev. Towne became ill and spent the night at one of the meetinghouses. He was treated kindly, and felt better in the morning. He was so pleased that he proposed the name Friendship.
Click here for more information about Fairhaven and Fairhaven Clifts on the Advocates for Herring Bay site
Herring Bay View, was platted by Oscar Mann in 1927, and is located off Drum Point Rd. between the former Whittington and Rogers properties. It was originally part of Ram Gott Swamp, surveyed for Richard Gott in 1659.
Highview on the Bay was part of Marshes Seat, surveyed by Thomas Marsh in 1651. In 1938, 50.8 acres was platted and sold for summer cottages by Edna Nutwell, Charles Washington Nutwell and Mary E. Proutt, children of Thomas S. and Annie Nutwell. Marshes Seat had been owned by the Nutwell family since 1860.
Mason's Beach was part of Ram Gott Swamp surveyed in 1659 for Richard Gott. It was purchased by Wilbur Mason in 1908 and was first platted in July 1919 as a summer community. Mimosa Cove on Parker Creek was given to Dr. Baxter S. John by Mr. Bias, an African American landowner, in payment of a medical bill. When Dr. John platted Mimosa Cove in 1948, he named the unpaved streets after his sons. Since segregation was still in effect, Sneed Drive remained part of the earlier African American community and was not connected to Mimosa Cove Road. When the county took over the roads, Mimosa Cove residents allowed Sneed Drive to be extended, thus relieving the exit problems for its residents. Tyler Road was named for Clifton Tyler who lived to be 100 and is buried in Tyler Road Cemetery.
North Beach Park was originally part of Bennett’s Island, 275 acres surveyed in 1651 for Richard Bennett, Esq., and owned by Col. William and Margaret Holland. It was platted in 1922 as an addition to Holland Point. Starting at Holly Ave., it ran south and included a small portion of Calvert County.
North Deale is located to the west of Deale-Churchton Rd. It was platted by the owner, F. A. Cumpton, in 1954.
Tracey’s Landing located along Franklin Gibson Road, to the south of present-day Rt. 256 was part of Marshes Seat, surveyed in 1651 for Thomas Marsh. It was named for the Thomas S. Nutwell family, who lived at Marshes Seat from 1860-1983. At one time, Nutwell had a post office (1886-1954), a one-room school, and an African American Beneficial Society Lodge.
Old Colony Cove was part of Carter-Bennett, surveyed in 1651 for Captain Edward Carter. It is situated on Herring Bay, west of present-day Herrington Harbor South Marina, and was platted in 1925 by the Stewart Fruit Co.
Owings Cliffs on Herring Bay, located just south of Fairhaven, was originally part of Carter, 300 acres surveyed in 1651 for Richard Bennett, Esq., leader of the Separatists. It was platted in 1923.
Owings Beach was originally part of Ram Gott Swamp, surveyed in 1659 for Richard Gott. A German immigrant, Joseph Knopp, purchased the property from James Deale between 1886 and 1890. Upon Knopp’s death in 1921, it was sold to Mr. Irvin Owings, who platted and sold lots for summer cottages.
Rest Haven on Parker’s Island Creek was a part of 100 acres granted to Christopher Gardiner in 1665, named Gardiner’s Folly. Gardiner’s land extended from Back Creek (now Parker’s Creek), to Broad Creek (now Broadwater Creek). Two years later the land passed to Thomas Daborne and became Daborne’s Inheritance. After World War II, the property was owned by John H. McKibbon, a subsistence farmer who had purchased the former Phipps farm. Living in the old farmhouse, McKibbon first sold lots along Cedar Drive facing Parker’s Creek, and then lots along Bay View Drive. The community of Rest Haven was platted in 1951, after which additional bayside and interior lots were sold.
Click here for a brief history of Rest Haven.
Rosehaven was a portion of the 275 acres surveyed in 1651 by Separatist leader, Richard Bennett, Esq., and named Bennett’s Island. The peninsula once jutted out into the Chesapeake Bay much further than it does today, and the interior cove and marsh probably made it look like an island to early surveyors. In 1912, a plat of Bennetts Island, 309 ¼ acres was drawn by a Washington, DC surveyor, showing a shrinking shoreline. Rosehaven was platted in 1947 by developer, Joseph E. Rose.
Town Point was a portion of a 200 acre tract called Town Land, surveyed in 1651 for William Parker, a wealthy merchant who settled in Calvert County. It was probably occupied by tenants before Parker sold it in 1667. It became the town of Herrington, which the Maryland Assembly designated an official port in 1669. The Proprietor wanted trade to take place only at official ports rather than individual piers, so that the state could tax the goods being shipped.
Traceys Creek was platted in 1990 by Herring Bay Partnership, and was built a decade later by Pulte Homes. The portion bordering Highview Road was part of Marshes Seat, surveyed by Thomas Marsh, merchant, in 1651. The portion bordering on Rt. 256 was part of Pascall’s Purchase, 300 acres surveyed for Edward Selby in 1651 and sold to George Pascall. Although kept as separate parcels until 1860, Marshes Seat and the southern part of Pascall’s Purchase had the same owners from 1701.
Tracys Landing was a tobacco port from the early 1700's until 1875. The port was part of Pascall’s Purchase, 300 acres surveyed in 1651 for Edward Selby and sold to George Pascall. By 1700, it had been divided into several smaller parcels. Tracey’s Landing was probably named for Thomas and Susannah Tracey, who owned a tract of land near the present-day entrance to Herrington Harbour North Marina. Thomas deserted his wife, leaving her penniless with several small children. A special act of the Maryland Legislature was required to clear the deed so she could sell her land. During the war of 1812, the British plundered and burned the Tracey’s Landing warehouse. In the name of efficiency, the post office dropped the "e" and the apostrophe from Tracey’s in 1870. But in 1920, the Board of Education adopted the original spelling in naming Tracey's School. As post offices were generally located in private homes, Tracys Landing’s boundaries moved with each new postmaster, and in 1878 it was even located in present-day Deale.
Click here for more information on Traceys Landing.
Ruth Hazen, 12/7/2008